A Proven Leader In Defense Against Federal Criminal Charges
Not every criminal defense lawyer handles federal cases. Our founding attorney Bill Wolf has decades of experience in federal criminal defense. If you are under investigation or have been charged with a federal crime, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible. Federal authorities have likely already gathered significant evidence against you, and you need an experienced federal criminal defense attorney to intervene on your behalf right away.
At Wolf Criminal Law, we develop sophisticated and aggressive criminal defense strategies, and we have a long record of success.
For a free consultation, call or text us in downtown Chicago at 312-881-9899 or complete our contact form. We represent clients facing criminal charges throughout Illinois. We speak Spanish and Italian.
Are You Under Investigation For A Federal Crime? Have You Already Been Charged?
Federal prosecutors work directly with federal agents to build and prepare cases. In doing so, federal prosecutors will bring charges to a grand jury for indictment or arrest you on the basis of the evidence. In either situation, when federal agents are working to prepare a case against you, the sooner you have a federal criminal defense attorney working on your behalf, the better chance you will have of protecting your rights, avoiding unintentionally incriminating yourself and, ultimately, protecting your rights and freedom.
The Difference Between State and Federal Criminal Charges
The state of Illinois has its own set of criminal laws designed to protect the interests of the state. Similarly, the federal government has criminal laws and statutes designed to that protect the interests of the United States on the federal level. Federal crimes are typically investigated by federal agents from the following agencies:
- The FBI investigates crimes of kidnapping, federal sex crimes, internet or cybercrimes, organized crimes, public corruption crimes and various white collar criminal activities.
- The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) enforces the Controlled Substances Act and investigates federal crimes relating to drug possession, manufacturing and trafficking.
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the enforcement arm of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and investigates immigration crimes.
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) investigates financial crimes and tax fraud.
- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) investigates weapons crimes and the illegal use of firearms and explosives.
Those convicted of a state crime will face sentencing by a criminal court judge in the state system. Federal judges oversee the federal criminal court and are bound by strict federal sentencing guidelines, which may include mandatory minimum sentences. Prison time for federal crimes will be served in the federal system, which can include federal penitentiaries located out of state.
Do not trust your case to an attorney who is not experienced in federal cases. Contact federal criminal defense attorney Bill Wolf to discuss your case today.
Contact Us For A Free Consultation
Wolf Criminal Law has access to the necessary resources and forensic experts required to prepare a strategic and comprehensive defense against federal criminal charges. For a free initial consultation, please call or text us at 312-881-9899 or complete our contact form. We represent clients facing criminal charges throughout Illinois.